Nothing says summertime like shrimp on the grill! This recipe for Grilled Shrimp, Lime, Pepper and Bean Salad is light, seasonal and healthy!
Not only is shrimp protein packed AND low calorie, it’s delicious too. So whether you are making dinner for the family, or doing meal prep for yourself, this recipe is sure to please.
- 12 ounces of peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 jalapeno (Note: You can skip this or change the portion for your desired spice level)
- 1/4 lime
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can sweet corn
- Half bunch of cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt, pepper and cumin for seasoning
- Drain and rinse the cans of black beans and corn and set aside in large salad bowl.
- Remove the seeds from the jalapeno and wash your hands with soap and water immediately.
- Dice the bell peppers and jalapeno and add them to the bowl of beans and corn.
- Remove the stems from the cilantro, chop the herb finely and add it to your salad bowl.
- Add olive oil, juice from the lime, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of pepper, mix well.
- Place your salad in the fridge to chill while you prepare the shrimp.
- Put four to five jumbo shrimp on a skewer, which should equal about 3 to 4 ounces.
- Pre-heat your grill or grill pan, or set your oven to 400 degrees.
- Season all skewers with a pinch of salt and cumin.
- Spray the grill, grill pan or a baking sheet – depending on the method you’re using to cook your shrimp – with low calorie oil spray, such as PAM.
- Place skewers on the grill, in the pan, or in the oven, and cook until the shrimp are pink and no longer translucent on both sides.
- Serve the chilled salad with a skewer of shrimp on the side and feel free to squeeze more lime for some extra flavor.
NOTE: For this recipe, shrimp can be cooked with or without a skewer. You can use an outdoor grill, stove top grill pan, or oven.
Serving Size: 4
This recipe comes courtesy of Penn Medicine: