Native to Mexico, jicama’s “roots” go back in recorded history to the Aztecs! Jicama is a vine fruit, sometimes reaching heights of 10 to 20 feet before flowering, meaning that it’s hard work to harvest this tasty root fruit.
Potatoes aren’t inherently bad for you, but jicama is loaded with bonus vitamin C and potassium! So skip the deep fryer, and enjoy these tasty fries as a perfect side to any dish.
- 2 cups jicama (sliced)
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Peel jicama and slice into French fry pieces.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon sea salt into medium pot of water. Bring to a boil.
- Boil jicama fries in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain in colander.
- Place drained jicama pieces into a large mixing bowl. Coat with avocado oil, then sprinkle on 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, garlic powder, cumin, and smoked paprika. Blend in spices.
- Spread fries onto oiled baking pan. Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes, turning halfway through baking time, until fries are crisp.
Serves 2 (1 cup)
This recipe comes from “LowCarbYum.”