Craving pizza? We’ve got you covered! This delicious gluten-free, low carb pizza casserole recipe that is sure to satisfy those cheesy cravings!
- Italian Sausage – You’ll want to use ground Italian sausage. If you have to buy Italian sausage that is in casings (sausage links) just remove the meat from the casings before cooking.
- Green Bell Pepper
- Mozzarella cheese
- Low Carb Pasta Sauce
- Parmesan cheese
- Italian Seasoning
- Steam the cauliflower. Keep things quick and easy by steaming in the microwave. Place cut cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl with 1 cup of water. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high for approximately 3 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender. Don’t overcook it! You don’t want mushy cauliflower, you just want it to be slightly tender so it won’t have to cook so long in the oven.
- Drain the cauliflower pat dry with a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat cook the Italian sausage, approximately 15 minutes. When the sausage has finished cooking drain the excess fat. Set aside.
- In the same skillet add olive oil and sauté the sliced mushrooms for 10 minutes. This will help remove some of the excess water. Set aside when done.
- Prepare a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish by spraying it with non-stick spray then spread ½ cup of pasta sauce on the bottom.
- In a large bowl add the cauliflower, cooked Italian sausage, mushrooms, and green peppers. Toss together until well mixed.
- Spread ½ of the mixture in the casserole dish. Top with ½ cup of pasta sauce, followed by ½ of the pepperonis (kind of press them down in between the other toppings), and finally 6 ounces of mozzarella cheese.
- Next spread the remaining toppings mixture over the cheese followed by the pepperonis (save 10 slices for the top of the casserole), remaining ½ cup of pasta sauce, and 6 ounces of mozzarella cheese.
- In a small bowl mix together the Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan mixture over the casserole and top with 10 slices of pepperoni.
- Place in the oven and bake at 400 degrees F. for 30 minutes, or until the casserole is warmed through and the cheese is fully melted.
Serving Size: 10
This recipe comes courtesy of Homemade Interest: